Approximately 400 calories per person for two people
- Prep time: about 15 minutes
- Cook time: about 18 minutes, once Instant Pot reaches temperature.
Even though this is not 600 calories per person for two, we find this meal to be satisfying for dinner.
Ingredients for Artichokes
- 4 fresh Artichokes (not canned)
- Optional ingredients for added flavor
- 4 ounces of White Onion, rough chopped
- ½ head of Garlic, smashed
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) Salt
- ¼ teaspoon (tsp) White Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon (tsp) Dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon (tsp) Dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon (tsp) Red cayenne
Ingredients for Dips
- Juice from ½ Lemon
- 4 tablespoons (Tbsp) of butter
- 2 tablespoons (Tbsp) of Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (Tbsp) of Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) Maggi Wurze Liquid Seasoning or soy sauce.
- Salt, Smoked Paprika and Cayenne Pepper to taste
- Optional for extra hot, Habanero ground pepper
- Rinse artichokes under the faucet and remove the dirt.
- Cut 1” from the top of all 4 artichokes.
- Cut all but ½ inch off the stem.
- Remove all the small ugly leaves from the bottom.
- With scissors, cut the tips off of every remaining leaf.
- Cut the artichokes in half.
- Use a small knife and cut between the heart and the “Choke” (the hairy stuff).
- Grab the Choke leaves in the inner part and rip the hairy stuff out.
- Use a knife or spoon to completely get rid of the Hairy Choke and rinse to make sure you got all of it.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Put 2 cups of water in bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place the metal trivet in the water
- Pour in the spices, bay leaves, garlic, onion (the spiced water will subtly flavor the artichokes, but you can cook without any of the spices or vegetables if you wish).
- After the artichokes have been prepared, put them on top of metal trivet inside the Instant Pot. They should fit in a 6 Quart Instant Pot.
- Press “Manual” and adjust the time to 18 minutes.
- This will use High Pressure
- When done use quick release and remove the lid.
- Artichoke dip – Butter
- During the cooking time, place 4 tablespoons (Tbsp) of butter into small pot.
- Add half the juice of a lemon.
- Add lots of salt to taste, more the better.
- Five minutes before the artichokes are done, on the stove top, warm up until liquid.
- Stir to mix.
- Pour into a small bowl to serve.
- Artichoke dip – Mayonnaise
- Have a large bowl handy for leaves.
- Place artichokes on a serving plate, or individual plates.
- Gently nibble or scrape off the tender bits of the bottom of the leaf by putting the leaf in your mouth, closing your teeth on it, and pulling the leaf outwards.
- Eat them with or without dipping in either the two dips. We like to alternate.
All of Living in Beauty Recipes
We are working on a series of recipes that are easy to fix in an RV and are approximately 600 calories per person for two people.