Approximately 600 calories per person for two people
- Prep time: about 35 minutes and at least 3 hours in refrigerator
- Cook time: about 30 minutes
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon (tsp) Nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon (tsp) Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (tsp) cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 3 ounces (85 grams) onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon (Tbsp) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (Tbsp) olive oil
Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients
- 3 ounces 85 grams English cucumber, partially peeled (striped) and sliced
- ¼ teaspoon (tsp) salt, divided
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled, minced
- ¼ teaspoon (tsp) white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon (tsp) Olive Oil
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ⅛ teaspoon (tsp) ground white pepper (or black pepper)
- ¼ teaspoon (tsp) dried dill
Mediterranean Salad Ingredients
- 12 ounces (340 grams) tomatoes, diced
- 12 ounces (340 grams) English cucumber which should be what is left after the Tzatziki sauce, slightly skinned and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 10 Arugula leaves, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon (tsp) black pepper
- 2 teaspoons (tsp) olive oil
- ½ teaspoon (tsp) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅓ teaspoon (tsp) Freshly made Lemon Zest
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon (tsp) White Vinegar
Follow these steps in the following order
Chicken Prep Instructions
- In a small bowl, create the Shawarma spices by mixing the cumin, turmeric, coriander, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Set aside the shawarma spice mix for now.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry and season with salt on both sides, then thinly slice into small bite-sized pieces.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl.
- Add the Shawarma spices and toss to coat.
- Add the onions, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Toss everything together again.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight (if you don’t have time, you can cut or skip marinating time)
Tzatziki Sauce Instructions
- Use a small food processor to finely chop the cucumber.
- Toss the cucumber with ⅛ teaspoon salt.
- Spoon the grated cucumber into a cheese cloth or a double thickness napkin and squeeze dry. (There will be a lot of liquid).
- In a bowl, place the minced garlic with remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt, white vinegar, and olive oil.
- Mix to combine.
- Add the dried cucumber to the bowl with the garlic mixture.
- Stir in the yogurt, and a pinch of white or black pepper, and dried dill.
- Stir to combine well.
- Cover and refrigerate while preparing the rest of the dinner. This will help thicken the sauce and the flavors to meld.
Chicken Cooking Instructions
- When chicken is ready, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge and let it sit in room temperature for a few minutes.
- Spread the marinated chicken with the onions in one layer on a large lightly-oiled baking sheet pan.
- Roast for 30 minutes in the 425 degrees pre-heated-oven.
- At 20 minutes, check the internal temperature of the chicken. You want it to be 165 degrees.
Mediterranean Salad Instructions
- While chicken is cooking make the salad.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the diced tomatoes, cucumbers, arugula, and parsley.
- Season with salt and toss.
- Set aside for 5 minutes or so.
Add the lemon zest, vinegar, olive oil, black pepper, paprika, and lemon juice.
- Mix well
- Set the salad aside.
Put in all together
- Remove chicken from the oven when internal temp of chicken is 165 degrees.
- When ready to serve, stir the tzatziki sauce to refresh.
- Give the salad a gentle toss.
- Split the chicken on two plates.
- Pour tzatziki sauce over chicken.
- Spilt the salad on the side of the two plates.
- Serve immediately!
All of Living in Beauty Recipes
We are working on a series of recipes that are easy to fix in an RV and are approximately 600 calories per person for two people.