Makes 18 pesto cakes/1800 total calories/ 100 calories per serving.
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: none
Even though we travel to places where fresh produce is unavailable, vegetables and greens are always on our table.
These homemade frozen pesto cubes are a favorite hack for healthy Living in Beauty meals in remote areas. They can probably hold in the freezer for months, but we go through a batch in a few weeks. And they are such a time saver! The cakes thaw quickly on the counter top.
We toss the thawed pesto cakes into angel hair pasta, flavor soups and stews and steaming pots of rice with them. We also spread thawed pesto cakes over homemade flatbread for pizzas, and use them as a marinade for baked salmon, chicken and scallops. We toss them in homemade marinara and stir them into sour cream for dressings and dips. And bread! These lovely herb bombs add flavor to homemade cornbread, brioche and savory cheese muffins which we grab with a cup of coffee on early travel mornings.
- 8 Tablespoons (Tbsp) of Olive Oil
- 1 Cup of raw Walnuts, cut into small pieces
- ½ head of Garlic, smashed
- 2 teaspoons of Salt.
- Basil Leaves 2 ½ cups
- Parsley 2 ½ cups (or any other fresh soft leafy herbs, such as tarragon, mint, dill and sage)
- Place all ingredients into a food processor (We use a Vitamix)
- Pulse until ingredients are fully incorporated. Taste, and pulse in more salt if necessary.
- Fill 18 mini silicone cupcake molds to the top. Tap the molds on the counter to remove air pockets and pack each firmly to the top.
- Freeze overnight
- The next day, remove the frozen pesto cakes and store them in a freezer-safe container.
- Use pesto cakes as needed. We use one pesto cake per person for Pasta Pesto Presto.